

Recently I was captured by the music of Queen. Not really by their music itself, but by frontman Freddie Mercury. Freddie Mercury's charisma on stage is out of this world. I've never seen anyone, whether artist or not, with such a strong stage presence as compared to Freddie. The lead singer of veteran rock band Queen has made people realise how much you can deliver on stage. His acts and gestures while performing can attract even the most indifferent person in the audience. Not to mention his awesome voice, reaching high notes and bringing climaxes to almost each song. Freddie has composed hit songs like "Bohemian Rhapsody", "We Will Rock You", and "We Are The Champions" that are now instantly recognisable among listeners. To me, they are really feel-good songs to listen to everyday. Upbeat, motivational, and catchy songs, I should say. Full of meaning depicting the days of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
I must admit, I don't really fancy Rock music. But when I heard Queen's music, (and they consider themselves to be a Rock band), I realised that some of their songs are more to the Pop genre. A mix of Rock and Pop, you could say. Songs like "Under Pressure", "Killer Queen", "A Hard Day's Night", and "Another One Bites The Dust" are what made me research their repertoire. They even had an album titled, "A Night At The Opera", where the hit song "Bohemian Rhapsody" emerged. I must say I'm now a fan of them.
The sad news is that Freddie Mercury has since passed away in 1991, and it's really a regret because if he were still living today, we would have learned a lot from the legend himself. I offer my deepest condolences to Queen and their fans, and ultimately salute Queen and Freddie Mercury for showing us their spectacular talent and what they could offer in music. Long live Queen...
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
This is the one song that made Queen stand out like no other rock band. Penned by Freddie Mercury himself, "Bohemian Rhapsody" has become an evergreen song to listeners. I think it is one of the most unique songs someone could ever compose...
Queen - Killer Queen
This is one of my favourites from Queen. The first time I heard it I knew it was my type of song. I just love the chorus. I guess I'm pretty old-fashioned; I like the style of 70s music...
Queen - We Will Rock You
The famous stamp-your-feet-and-clap-your-hands number from Queen. This was performed at the Live Aid concert in 1985. Just watch how Freddie Mercury entices the crowd...
Queen - We Are The Champions
Also performed at the Live Aid concert. From what the critics said, Queen was the only band that stole the show amongst all the other artistes who performed. And as for Freddie Mercury, they said it was his best performance ever. Just watch him, you'll see why...
Queen - Radio Ga Ga
The song that made fun of the radio. Ga ga ga...
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
This was performed during their own concert at the Wembley stadium in 1986. What a waste, it was only 2 years before I was born. If not I could've seen it - as a baby.
Queen - Under Pressure
This was actually performed by David Bowie during Freddie Mercury's tribute concert after he died. Somebody has modified it with scenes of Queen's concert at the Wembley stadium and that's how Freddie Mercury is in the picture.
Queen - It's A Kind Of Magic
This video's quite cool. I must say Freddie Mercury looks like a magician himself. Heck, he is a magician! Just listen to the way he sings! You get to see animation, too. Interesting storylines, really...
Queen - Crazy little Thing Called Love
Hahah! Reminds me of the movie, "Grease". It's quite rare to see Freddie Mercury dancing with others dancers, too. At first I always thought The Beatles were the ones who did this song. Never knew it was actually Queen. Classic Rock & Roll, really...
Queen - Somebody To Love
I recently came across this song from Queen and I must say, this is one heck of a song! I learnt from Americon Idol that Freddie Mercury wrote this song inspired by Aretha Franklin. He wanted to give it a gospel edge. Well, it's something you wouldn't think a rock band like Queen would sing, but they did it. I must admit, I'm kind of addicted to it...
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
My God, I just love this song. Somehow there's a distinct rawness to this song when you listen to it unplugged. It's exactly like the original version of "We Are The Champions" where the style of 70s music really gets me hyped up. The best thing about this song is that it goes well in both slow and fast tempos.
Queen - I Want To Break Free
Very daring of them dressing up as women. But then again, they're a Rock band. You can clearly hear the 80s influence in this song. The strong underlying beat and bass notes really make you want to sing along to it. Excellent for doing housework - just like in the video!
No comments:
Post a Comment