Friday, June 16, 2006

The Dragon, bringer of ultimate auspiciousness...

Ahh yes, the grand Dragon. The perception of the Dragon varies for different people. Usually in the western culture, the Dragon is said to be a fearsome beast with fire power and people are meant to kill it. In Chinese culture, however, the Dragon is said to be the most auspicious of all the celestial animals and its presence will bring tremendous fortune for those around it. The Dragon symbolizes the ultimate yang energy and signifies strength, vigour, courage, prosperity, and luck. As I said earlier in the "Phoenix" post, when combined with the Phoenix, the two symbolize marital bliss, a symbol of everlasting love. The Dragon you see above is the Chinese version of a Dragon, I dare say, and usually the Chinese like to depict it with a non-harmful look and feel. In fact I must say that the Dragon in the picture looks pretty friendly. Well, that's what Dragons should be, if they were to bring auspiciousness to those around them...

No comments: