Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My tribute to The Beach Boys...

Just a few days ago I decided to download some songs. While I was thinking of the songs I like, The Beach Boys' "California Dreaming" came to mind. And so I searched for it and voila, I did manage to download it. The only thing was, I came across even more songs from The Beach Boys. And guess what? Their songs are way cool...

Ladies and gentlemen, may I take this opportunity to honour one of America's legendary singing groups. They have gained popularity during the era of The Beatles and their songs have been used countless times in the movies. Whenever their songs are featured in films, we usually hear them and start to like them. But once the movie ends, we forget all about them. And that is why I wanted to research their repertoire and show you all the famous tunes that have been understated...

When I first heard The Beach Boys, it was "I Get Around" that caught my ear. Then I heard "Kokomo" and "California Dreaming". Recently there was a Cadbury commercial on television and they used "Wouldn't It Be Nice" as its theme tune. The main thing I noticed about the music of The Beach Boys is that yes, they mostly sing 1960s style melodies which talk about one thing in common: Surfing. Well, as their name suggests, I'm sure both their songs and their name go hand in hand. Besides that, almost each of their songs have a nice bob-bob-baby tune to it. You know, that famous style of back-up singing when you hear them repeating almost each line of the song and always using words like "Ooh" and "Ahh". It's pretty cool to me, honestly. The music of The Beach Boys have their own distinct sound that whenever they are played, almost anyone would know that The Beach Boys sang it. Their chords are fantastic - simple and yet invigorating. I usually feel goosepimples when I hear songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "California Dreaming". Of course I don't have to mention that their melodies are as melodious as they can be, if you appreciate the music of the 1960s. I always have a liking for nostalgic melodies, if you know by now...

And so I would like to feature some of their more popular songs here on my blog. I'm sure that the moment you listen to them, you'll say something like, "Hey, this is the song from that movie!" Or maybe you might have heard them on the radio and never really got to know the title. Nevertheless, I hope you appreciate their music and once again, I offer my salutation to The Beach Boys...

The Beach Boys - California Dreaming

This is the song that gives me goosepimples until today. I dare say it is an evergreen song to most people. I also learnt that this song was originally sung by The Mamas & The Papas. Listen to the melody and the chord structures. What amazing back-up voices they have...

The Beach Boys - Fun, Fun, Fun

This is one of my all time favouries. The very first time I actually acknowledged it, I knew I'd heard it before but never got hold of it. I love the last line of every stanza when they turn it into a beautiful chord and that gives the song it's unique melody.

The Beach Boys - California Girls

"California Girls" talks about all the beautiful girls in the different parts of America but it seems that only California Girls appeal to them. Well, give them a kiss for me!

The Beach Boys - Surfer Girl

This is their very first ballad and mind you, it's one heck of a song. The way it is composed, in 3/4 time, totally fits what I call, "sea songs". Even the way they sang it - long phrases of falsetto invloved - gives the song its distinct sound. You can actually imagine sitting on a white-sand beach, watching the waves of the clear-blue waters and your little surfer girl riding them...

The Beach Boys - I Get Around

I first heard "I Get Around" in Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie. Remember the part when they went to a carnival and you could hear, "Round, round, get around, I get around... Yeah..." That was it, alright. What a great song to start your day...

The Beach Boys - Kokomo

"Kokomo" is one song that has great lyrics and a fitting melody. Just listen to how they rhyme all the places together and how the music really tells you that you're going on a trip to a getaway island with a loved one. An excellent song for a holiday...

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice

I always find that this song would be a great song to end a splendid day with your friends and family. The lyrics tell it all - you get that nice, warm feeling as though it's Christmas, you know. How I wish we could actually end our days like that everyday...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of the Beach Boys too despite the fact that they were before my time.

I prefer the original "California Dreamin'" by "The Mamas & The Papas" as would most people. Now that was a classic!

Shelli said...

Hello. Happened across your blog by chance (clicking "Next Blog" until I came across one written in English). I love the harmony from '60s groups like the Beach Boys and The Mamas & The Papas. "Monday, Monday" by TM&TP is one of my favorites. Little bit of trivia for ya - did you know that the members of the Beach Boys absolutely cannot stand one another? I find that to be tragic and almost unbelievable since their voices blend so well.

I enjoyed your introspection.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Peru! wonderful blog about the Beach boys!! we love them here :) Forever and ever, amen!!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big8.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מגוונים כמו כן ישנו במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר מוגשות ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים אנא גשו לאתרנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

Thank u ;-) you should look at that emo boy style at this blog:
http://crazy-emo-boys.blogspot.com