Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Changi Chapel & Museum.

It's probably the most unexpected experiences that give you the most impact in life. One of these experiences happened today, when I so happened to visit the Changi Chapel & Museum.

We didn't intend to visit it, in fact. My parents and I wanted to give one of my aunts a birthday treat at The Bark Cafe, which was the cafe at the chapel and museum itself. And of course, who wouldn't want to go into the museum since it was just next door? We spent about three quarters of an hour touring the place and absorbing the horrors of the Japanese occupation in Singapore during the 1940s.

My apologies for not telling you what in the world the Changi Chapel & Museum is all about. The Changi Chapel was built by the prisoners of war (POWs) during the Japanese occupation here in Singapore. The prisoners consisted mainly of Malaysian, Singaporean, Australian, and British soldiers who helped defend Singapore against the Japanese. The picture you see here is of the chapel - just as it looked like in the olden days but refurbished, of course. I couldn't get pictures of the musuem because no taking of photographs were allowed, I guess. But the museum was really very informative and modern, for one thing. And guess what? It was air-conditioned, too! Thank God for that...

Well if you're interested in the Changi Chapel & Museum, do come to Singapore and pay a visit. I saw lots of tourists today. Who knows? You might be one of them in time to come...

No comments: