I really must say that the person who inspired me to write this song was none other than my Rock & Roll guru, Billy Joel. I could imagine very clearly the style of this song even before I started writing it. I had the music, rhythm, and lyrics in mind, but I never actually got to figure out the exact tune to it. Nevertheless, this song was inspired by Billy Joel's "The Downeaster Alexa" and a little of "Leningrad".
A Lifetime Story
Lyrics by: Oliver Sayson
We came from long ago,
living on bread and water.
We knew nothing of sin,
only the thought of dying.
So we came and went,
our people grew,
one family hand in hand.
We depended on one another,
living till the end.
(Chorus)
"It's a lifetime story,
one which keeps on going and going.
It's a lifetime story,
one which tells us of its glory.
It's no use looking back,
the past is past,
we face the world tomorrow.
A lifetime story that we live till the end."
We built our houses first with wood,
then went on to building them with sand.
We used to walk to places,
now we travel with horses.
Then we wondered who to rule us,
to lead us forth united.
So the governments were formed,
and the people sang in song,
(Chorus)
(Bridge)
But then one day,
a cold war came,
we fought our lives in battle.
We lost the ones we loved,
and swore to God above.
(Chorus)
I must say I'm truly proud of this song I've written. It's one of the most realistic and rhyming songs that I've accomplished. I usually have difficulty trying to make the words rhyme, but I guess this one is not bad. I hope you've enjoyed reading the lyrics as much as I did writing it...
No comments:
Post a Comment