Hello, hello! Wow, what a great (and wet) Saturday it has been so far. You know, recently I was trying to find the name of a classical piece that spoke to me so deeply the first time I heard it. I was watching an old film by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert De Niro. It's called "Raging Bull" and during the first few scenes - in fact, I think it was one long, slow-motioned scene - there was this classical piece playing in the background. Anyone would have noticed it because there was no talking in that scene, just Robert De Niro boxing slow-motioned in the ring.
It was that music that stirred some deep emotions within me. My God, I had to find it, I told myself. Just a few days back, an old friend of mine called me unexpectedly. He was a fan of classical music and so I happened to mention about the piece I was trying to find. Thing is, I didn't even know the title and composer who wrote the piece. I just knew it was used in "Raging Bull". This extremely resourceful friend of mine searched the net, found the piece, and actually played it from his computer on the spot! I was amazed at how efficient he was, and I am very grateful to him. He couldn't pronounce the title and composer, so he spelled them out for me.
The title of the piece was "Cavalleria Rusticana", by Pietro Mascagni. The name "Mascagni" rang a bell in my memories, and so did "Rusticana". Right now, I'm actually listening to it! Facebook has this music player application and I searched for it there. If you have time, go have a listen. Take note of the second part of the piece - or the 'chorus' after the 'verse'. You'll know it when you hear it. I happened to hear this same piece being used for a foreign advertisement - possibly an Italian advertisement.
Beautiful, beautiful piece. Very touching. I told my friend that it was one of those rare classical pieces which really penetrates into the heart. It's not everyday you find a gem like this...
No comments:
Post a Comment