Friday, April 20, 2007

What's all the fuss about?

Yup, I've made the decision. Made the big decision already. It's done. It's over. I'm now a certified PhD. You know what PhD stands for? Poly-halfway-dropout.

Well it isn't all that bad, really. I know many people would think it's taboo to drop out of school. I don't see it that way, though. I think I'm one step closer to my goal. If I were to continue with that course, feeling dreadful everyday, what's the point of continuing? I might as well take a different path and serve my National Service first. I don't think it's a detour. Studying in that course was a detour. I've actually saved up 2 years to complete my National Service, and once I'm done with that, I can start pursuing my passion. I don't have to waste another 2 years in that course, suffering in silence, knowing that I have no interest, no talent, and no desire to work in that industry in the near future anyway.

I know there'll still be some people who will disagree with me, frowning upon my decision to withdraw from my course - one of them being my mum. As I said, most people are accustomed with the 'normal' way of how things should flow. They regard anything else as taboo. In my case, they think taking a different route, but ultimately to my passion, is wrong and out of the ordinary. It's not that they are conservative in their thinking. It's just that they are keeping their eyes to one straight road, believing that this road is the one and only road to success. I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with that. There are many roads to success. It all depends on what your dreams are.

Come to think of it, it really isn't such a big decision after all. I'm just kind of switching my priorities, get what I mean? After all, every Singaporean male citizen has to serve his National Service anyway. So what's all the fuss about?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I totally agree with you on this. Yes, no point having to dread each day in the course. Why suffer when you can do something about it? That's what I think. It's a bold move Oli. I applaud you for that and wish you all the best in the future.