Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A real taste of working life - with a pinch of salt.

Whoa! Whoa! I still can't digest what had happened in the last few days. Phew. Alright, where do I start? Remember me saying that I had found a job as a beach surveyor? That's bullshit, alright. It didn't even happen. I was expecting a call from the company to confirm the start-date, but the project never even took off. Now, I've found a new job, and this one's already started...

It started so quickly that I didn't have time to realise what was happening. Last Thursday I went to the employment agency to apply for a position I saw in the papers. They told me it was for a mobile phone service provider (I can't mention the company's name due to confidential matters), and there were two positions: Call centre operator or front-line customer service executive. I was considering the call centre operator job at first, since it was something new to me and there was a certain sense of security being behind a phone. Not to mention the pay for that is higher than the front-line customer service executive.

During the second interview (there were three altogether), I had a very strong feeling that the lady who was interviewing me was hinting that I take the front-line customer service executive job. I actually said something about wanting the call centre operator job instead, but she said she would be the one to short-list people in the end. So I let it be because I thought it wouldn't make much difference anyway. Only two were appointed for the front-line customer service executive job: I'm one of them.

And so I had to go down to the place where I was going to work for my third interview - on that same day. The supervisor asked me a few questions and before I knew it, my employment agent called me up just as I was about to head home, "They want you to start work tomorrow. Can you come back to my office to sign the contract?" Can you believe that? It's neither good nor bad, but everything was decided so quickly on that same Thursday.

I had to report for work at 10a.m. the next morning. And then it was the start of my world going upside-down. I had no idea, no idea, that I would have to be operating so many programs on a computer. Heck, I didn't even know I had to be using computers! I thought it was just a little machine which printed out queue numbers that I had to be pressing. For the first three days on the job, I was in turmoil - and panic. I had to learn the replies to the various enquiries customers would ask and also the services the mobile phone service provider offers. I scribbled down notes and tried to memorize the countless steps involved when it came to using the system.

On top of that, my days have been burned like wild fire. I start at 10 in the morning and end at 7:30 in the evening. By the time I have my dinner and arrive home, it's almost time to sleep. If it wasn't for the two off days per week, I wouldn't have taken the job in the first place. Hours at work seem to drag at times. It's a pity thinking about how your days burn away when you have to wake up so early in the morning and only get to go back at night. It's true that I can make full use of my time doing a job, but what about time for "me"? I need some "me" time everyday, to be honest.

Well, I guess I'll just have to leave things to the higher powers, then. I have faith that things will turn out fine in the end. May all our wishes come true...

No comments: