Saturday, October 06, 2007

The beach surveyor!

Okay, great. I've found a job at last. My cousin has signed up too! Actually it isn't anything new. Remember my surveyor job at The Esplanade? Yeah, this time it's at the beach...

She wore an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini... Yup, it's time to survey again. Totally new (and unexpected) environment - the beach. No more air-conditioning, just fresh, salty air. No more free performances from the Mosaic Music Festival, just the sound of the waves crashing on to the shore.

To be honest, the surveyor job was the toughest of the lot for me. Not only was it energy-draining, it really pushed you out of your comfort zone to be bold in approaching that intimidating person over there. But thank God there's something which makes up for it: The pay. Yes, it's definitely more than the average job (probably much more), and if it wasn't for that, I'd probably be thinking twice about it.

Anyway, I heard that this time the survey would be extra long - much longer than the previous one I had to conduct. Two things: It's either I encounter all the right people who would be willing to sit through the long survey, or I do my best to improvise on it - summarize it, if you must. But how in the world am I going to summarize a survey, I have no idea for now...

Another great solution would be to go in pairs or more. Not only would that provide a shared confidence with each other, it would also intimidate the surveyee in declining us in the first place (oh boy, I feel so evil). Funny how we come up with peculiar solutions in situations like these...

So I guess it's all the best to me and my cousin - and everyone else involved in the project, of course. May luck be on our side...

No comments: