Saturday, July 05, 2008

8-5 VS Stay-In

Well well, the past week was busy. But the coming week will be busier, I guess. Good thing I had a "happy hour" with friends yesterday evening. Not the alcohol type, though. Just a good dinner after work...

It's constant studying, this one. Lots and lots of things to remember. Next week will be the major tests and stuff. I just learned of a misconception about 8-5 jobs in the army. Many people, including myself, have always believed that if you get an 8-5 job, you're lucky. And if you get a stay-in job, you're suay. Well, in the unit I'm in, the stay-in jobs are scheduled in a way where you get to stay-in for one night, that means 2 full working days, and the next day you're off. That leaves you a whole day to do what you want.

Now look at the 8-5 jobs. Yes, you get to go back everyday, but how much time do you have for yourself? Those few hours in the evening are all you have to do whatever you need to do. Before long it's time to hit the sack and the cycle repeats itself. So the feeling of an 8-5 job is very tight. You're just burning off the useful hours of the day at work.

I guess that's one way to look at both modes of work. I realised this because the 8-5 job (or course) I'm now in feels like that. Extremely tight. After this it's back to the lecture notes. So I guess I'll see you soon...

No comments: