Saturday, January 19, 2008

The truth about technology...

Hey hey, it's been a great Saturday so far. I'm so glad my computer's working again. Kind of miss using it in my own home. You know, technology is such an extreme thing. It can make your life a lot easier, but it can also make your life a whole lot more difficult. Why? Because when your gadget eventually gets faulty, you'll have to find a way to get it fixed. And most of us depend a lot on technology. It's as if we give a huge part of our lives to it. Take one simple example: Our mobile phones.

We store probably all our contacts in our mobile phone's SIM card. And what happens when that SIM card gets lost or faulty? We lose all our contacts. Take yourself back to the old days when mobile phones didn't exist and we had to depend on pen and paper to record down telephone numbers. That little black book was our passport to the outside world, so to speak. All our contacts were stored in its pages, in alphabetical order. And where has that little black book gone today? Most likely we've dumped it out of our lives long ago...

So it's quite a pity, don't you think? It's amazing how we can remember most of our friends' telephone numbers in the old days. Our brains were put to much use in the past, I dare say. You ever heard scientists say that we only use two - or was it three - percent our of brains throughout our life? Imagine what the percentage would be these days. It's like our brain cells are dying while we're still living.

There's no doubting that our brains have a whole lot more potential just waiting to be tapped. If you're a fan of Star Trek, you'd most probably have heard the saying that space would be the next frontier. Someone else I've heard said that mind would be the next frontier. I couldn't agree more.

Well, I guess I've made my point. Sorry if I took you by surprise. I didn't expect to talk about this topic in the first place. Have a great Saturday...

No comments: