Thursday, May 17, 2007

Customer Service Officers, I salute you!

Boy oh boy! 3 weeks of un-blogging! Tut tut, it's really been a long time. Kind of miss updating my blog, haha! Anyway, where should I start? Lots of things have been happening, of course.

I guess I last left off telling you about my second job for the (extended) holidays, right? Well, I'm still in the middle of it and it's been not bad, really. I've encountered interesting experiences working at the airport. In fact, just on the first day of my job, right before my shift was about to end, a nasty passenger made my day. "Why didn't you tell us earlier? This is so f*****g annoying," was what the caucasian in a business suit said in a "killing me softly" kind of whisper. Of course my partner and I were dumbstruck at first, never believing that we would encounter such a passenger. But then we realised that angry passengers were actually complaining to the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and not us, yellow-shirted temporary employees. We're just here to promote the new policy; we didn't make the new law. So I guess from that day onwards we knew we were supposed to be permeable, letting through whatever comments passengers had to say - because they're not for us, yellow-shirted temporary employees. It's like what Singaporeans say, "Go in one ear, come out the other".

Okay, now that I've released my burden on my blog, I'll have to say that that incident was a pretty good experience for me - and I guess for anyone wanting to work in the customer service line. When I went through the training for this job (on how to be a good customer service officer), the guy who was lecturing us said that at the end of the day, your skin will be one inch thicker. In other words you'll be able to handle life's inevitable criticisms much better. Again, like what Singaporeans call, "Thick skin".

Well, enough about negative experiences. I did encounter satisfying experiences on the job, too. There was this French business man (wearing a pinstripe business suit that made us go, "Whoa, nice suit.") who wanted to carry a bottle of wine in his hand-carried luggage because he was afraid that it would break if he left it in his check-in luggage. Of course we told him that he was not allowed to bring it on board the plane and that we were very sorry for the trouble, but the moment he said, "No, no, it's not your fault", we knew our positions were clarified. Here is a man who uses his conscience before he speaks.

You see, even something as small as that can do wonders to improve your mood. It is especially so when it comes to customer service. Imagine having to deal with frustrated passengers all day and then someone comes up to you and pays you a little compliment. Wouldn't you be so grateful for that person? Do the same to other people in your life and what would you get? True satisfaction in return. If everyone pays a little compliment to the people in their lives, wouldn't the world be a much nicer place to live in? Happiness would fill the air, and everyday wouldn't be the same anymore...

I take this opportunity to salute the people who give customers their satisfaction, and hope they would receive the same satisfaction in return...

No comments: