I came across a great poem on Facebook. It's about giving and receiving...
I am a novice when it comes to receiving.
Giving has become my expertise.
But giving alone without getting,
becomes soon a fatal disease.
If the intake valve is not opened,
there's no way to maintain a supply.
There comes a point in the cycle of life,
when the out-going stream runs dry.
Straining out love from a vacuum,
is like drinking from the heart of a stone.
Try as we may, at the end of the day,
we are exhausted, frustrated, alone.
"Better to give than receive," we are taught.
Yet another truth I've learned just by living.
Only the soul with the grace to receive,
excels in the fine art of giving.
- Reverend James Forbes
Many people, including myself, think that giving is way better than receiving. When we give, we feel that we're doing something good for the other person. But when the other person wants to give, we say, "No, no, please. There's no need to."
Somebody commented on this poem, saying, "The way I look at it, sometimes receiving is a form of giving as well... Giving others the opportunity to do good as well. And you can empower them by making giving a great experience and thus they will be good givers to others..."
Well, I guess giving and receiving are the same thing. Neither one is "better" than the other. In order to give, we need to receive...
No comments:
Post a Comment